The Middle Years Ministry
Wednesday, July 11, 2012
Game: Silly Sloppy Slingshot Scrabble
Silly Sloppy Slingshot Scrabble is a favorite around my Middle School/Jr. High Ministry. It has taken on various forms and challenging levels, but it is a guaranteed blast!
- Water balloon slingshot: at least one- 2-4 for bigger groups, areas, or more of an advanced challenge
- Towels and/or old t-shirts: enough for ever for one per group of 4 students. This is where are old youth group t-shirts go to die.
- A wide variety food: preferably gross, weird or sloppy but soft (safe) food, but something that can "fly"
- Outdoors large area: field or parking lot. Do not do this indoors!
Simple Instructions & Rules:
Instructions: Break everyone into teams of 4 and give each team have a towel/t-shirt. Have all the teams spread out in the large playing area. Each team will be holding the 4 corners of their towel/shirt. On "Go" using the water balloon sling you and your leaders will be shooting the "silly sloppy" food items out into the playing area to your students to try to catch or be hit with.
Rules: Teams must try to catch the food item. It is 5 points for food items that are caught and minus 1 point for food items that hit a player. Obviously the main idea is to try to catch as many food items as possible. My leaders and I of course send a couple "line drives" on softer items to subtract points, and for our own amusement.
Suggested Food Items:
- Hot Dogs (the original)
- Twinkies or any other snack cake
- Eggs (be careful this one)
- Chunks of Spam
- Large Marshmallows
- Dog Biscuits
- Bread of various kinds (you can also form "bread balls"
- Limburger Cheese
- Tomatoes (or various other "not to hard" fruits and veggies)
- AND SO ON... Use your imagination of just have a fun shopping trip looking for the most random foods!!
Note: Great for left-overs at camp or retreats...That is where it all began!!