Like homes that are consumed with making sure children are not bored or unhappy, we as youth ministries may also be unknowingly doing the same thing by focusing strongly on making sure the students are happy, comfortable and entertained.
While we as youth pastors and leaders bemoan parents that are "helicopter parents" or focusing their attention on keep their children busy in sports and every activity imaginable, we may be following suit doing many of the same things. Much like marriages and parent relationship that are being weakened by putting an unhealthy focus on children instead of each other, our youth ministries as part of the body and bride of Christ may also be weakening our relationship by becoming more kid-centered and less Christ-centered?
Here are 10 quick thoughts about the difference between Christ-Centered Ministry and Student-Centered Ministry...
10. Faith Focused vs. Fun Focused?
9. Educate Us vs. Entertain Us?
8. Opportunities for Students to Serve vs. Opportunities for Students to be Served?
7. Christ Honoring vs. Honoring Students?
6. God's Presence vs. Who is Coming?
5. Spirit-Led Decisions Making vs. Student-Led Decisions Making?
4. Compassion-driven planning vs. Complaint-driven planning?
3. Adults Desperately Seeking to Love Christ More vs. Adults Desperately Seeking to be Loved by Students More
2. Seeking Holiness vs. Seeking Hipness!
1. Studying Uncomfortable Truths of God's Word vs. Discussing Non-Threatening Comfortable Topics?